Hot cocoa made with chocolate chips is a rich, creamy, and decadent treat.
Learn how to make a steaming mug of hot chocolate with chocolate chips, so you can enjoy it any time!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Cold weather is the perfect time to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. There’s something so comforting about a steaming cup of chocolatey goodness.
And while most people probably make their cup of cocoa using a packet of powdered cocoa mix, what you may not know is that you can make delicious hot chocolate using chocolate chips!
Sometimes, you just need an easy hot chocolate recipe on a cold day!
While it takes a smidge more effort than using a cocoa packet, the result is so dreamy you may never go back.
This creamy hot chocolate recipe puts Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix to shame!
More Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love:
Hot Chocolate Made with Chocolate Chips
One thing that has always bothered me about packaged hot cocoa mixes is that they don’t have a strong chocolate taste. The flavor is pretty muted, and the texture isn’t always very creamy.
But when you make hot chocolate with chocolate chips, you end up with a decadent, rich beverage that actually tastes like chocolate.
I first encountered this type of hot chocolate at a little café called Angelina’s in Paris, where I had my first cup of chocolat chaud. It was thick, creamy, and full of real chocolate flavor.
Upon returning home, I decided I needed to be able to replicate the French version with a recipe that could easily be made in the average home kitchen.
I believe Angelina’s uses chopped bittersweet chocolate, which you could definitely do, but I don’t always have that on hand.
That’s where this recipe for hot chocolate made with chocolate chips comes in!
It’s way better than any hot chocolate mix, and it’s my own simple version of Parisian hot chocolate.
How to Make Hot Cocoa Using Chocolate Chips
It’s really easy to make this hot cocoa, using just a few basic ingredients.
Because this delicious recipe includes melted chocolate, the end result has such a wonderfully rich flavor.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Heavy cream
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Chocolate chips
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Heat milk and cream. First, you’ll combine the heavy cream, milk, and confectioner’s sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is hot and steaming.
You don’t want it to boil—you just want to see some bubbles beginning to form around the edges of the pan (there may be some additional frothy bubbles from whisking, too).
Add chocolate chips. Next, you’ll remove from heat, then stir in the chocolate chips, whisking constantly until they melt into the hot milk mixture. If needed, you can return the pan to medium-low heat to help the chips melt.
Serve. Remove from heat and ladle into mugs and serve as desired. This really is the best hot chocolate, in my opinion!
Notes and Adaptations:
- You can use any kind of chocolate chips you want—good quality dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips are my preference. If you use milk chocolate chips, I’d recommend omitting the sugar. You can also use a bittersweet chocolate bar or unsweetened chocolate (you may want to increase the sugar a bit in that case).
- If you don’t have confectioner’s sugar, you can use regular granulated sugar instead.
- You can serve this as-is for a decadent treat, or take it up a notch with some whipped cream or mini marshmallows, a sprinkling of cinnamon, or a drop of peppermint extract or a splash of vanilla extract.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 TBSP confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine heavy cream, milk, and sugar. Whisk the mixture frequently while it heats, until bubbles form around the edges and mixture is steaming hot (do not boil!).
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips, whisking constantly until melted and incorporated. If needed, return to low heat to help the chocolate melt.
- Ladle into mugs, and serve as desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 623Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 28gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 82mgSodium 109mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 4gSugar 51gProtein 10g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.