Learn how simple it is to make the viral Pasta Recipe from Gigi Hadid.
Gigi Hadid’s pasta is an easy recipe with a homemade spicy vodka sauce that you can make with or without vodka!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
You may remember hearing about the Gigi Hadid pasta recipe that went viral on social media a little while back. But have you tried it?
If not, you’re in luck! It’s an easy recipe that requires just a few inexpensive ingredients, making a delicious but frugal meal that will make you feel like you’re eating at an Italian restaurant!
The recipe walks you through how to make a spicy vodka sauce, but you can also make it without vodka if you don’t have any on hand (or if you simply prefer to make it without alcohol).
It’s a rich and creamy sauce that’s perfect for adding to your pasta of choice. I’ve made some very small adjustments to the original recipe to help it suit my family. This is basically a penne alla vodka recipe, but there’s no need to be intimidated by it.
I’m betting it’s going to become your new favorite pasta dish once you give it a try!
Pasta dishes can also make a great meal to serve your family over the holidays, too, since they can easily be doubled for a crowd.
Who is Gigi Hadid?
Supermodel Gigi Hadid began her modeling career as a young child. She still works as a TV personality and American model, and also has her own clothing line, known as “Guest in Residence.”
Gigi Hadid’s spicy vodka pasta recipe went viral as an original Instagram story on her account back in 2020, making it a beloved family favorite ever since.
How to Make Gigi Hadid’s Pasta Recipe
It’s easier than you think to make this simple recipe, for a quick weeknight dinner.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Olive oil
- Red onion or yellow onion
- Tomato paste
- Vodka (or substitute–see notes)
- Heavy cream
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes or chili flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- Pasta (I used shell pasta, but you could also use penne pasta)
How to Make Gigi Hadid Pasta:
(Printable recipe card is located below)
Cook your pasta. Follow the package instructions to cook your pasta in a separate pot on the stove. You can let it cook while you’re working on the sauce, but once it’s cooked to al dente, drain the pasta but reserve a cup of the pasta water and set aside.
Saute aromatics. In a large saucepan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onions, stirring occasionally to saute until they are starting to turn translucent. This will take about 3-5 minutes.
Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about one minute.
Make the creamy tomato sauce. Add tomato paste to the garlic and onions, stirring well to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes, being careful not to scorch the tomato paste. This will help deepen the flavor.
Add the vodka (or substitute) and stir to combine. Cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the heavy cream, stirring well to incorporate into the mixture.
Add some black pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes (or chili flakes). The amount of red pepper flakes you add will depend on how much heat you want your spicy vodka pasta sauce to have.
Add cheese and pasta. Add some shredded parmesan cheese to the sauce, stirring well to allow the cheese to melt into the sauce.
If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little bit of reserved cup of pasta water (just add a tablespoon at a time), mixing it into the sauce until desired consistency is achieved.
Add the cooked pasta shells to the sauce and gently stir to coat.
Garnish. Top the pasta with some chopped fresh basil if you’d like!
Enjoy a restaurant quality meal with simple ingredients–it doesn’t get much better than that, does it?
Notes and Adaptations:
- I use pasta shells, but you can use penne or any other kind of pasta that you’d like. Feel free to use whole wheat pasta, chickpea pasta, or whatever suits your dietary needs.
- If you don’t have or don’t want to use vodka, you can substitute it by mixing 1.5 TBSP apple juice (or white grape juice) with 1.5 TBSP lemon juice (or lime juice). This provides some sweetness and acidity, similar to what vodka would add to the flavor of the dish.
- Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes based on your tolerance of heat. I used 1/2 tsp, but you could use as much as 2 tsp if you want the sauce to be spicier.
- Stockpot for boiling pasta
- Saucepan or large skillet for making sauce (I own and really like this Goodful pan)
- 8-oz shell pasta (or other pasta of choice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow or red onion, diced
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 6-oz can of tomato paste
- 3 TBSP vodka (or substitute listed in notes below)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2-2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to your preference)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh basil for garnish
- Begin by boiling the pasta per package directions. You can allow the pasta to cook while you work on the sauce. When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking liquid for later.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onions and saute, cooking 3-5 minutes until they begin to turn translucent.
- Add garlic and stir, cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, stirring to combine and cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in vodka (or substitute), followed by heavy cream, black pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add in shredded parmesan cheese, stirring well to melt into the sauce. If the sauce is too thick at this point, thin it by adding a tablespoon at a time of the reserved hot pasta water.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to the sauce, gently stirring to coat.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Adapted from Gigi Hadid
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 626Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Be sure to save this to your dinner board on Pinterest!