If you love banana bread but need to avoid sugar and extra calories, you’ll love this version!
Sugar free banana bread allows you to enjoy a homemade loaf of everyone’s favorite quickbread, but without the sugar!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Banana bread is one of those special treats that can warm the soul. A warm, freshly baked homemade loaf is definitely one of the simple things in life.
But enjoying comfort foods can be tricky if you are also trying to limit your sugar intake.
That’s why I think it’s important to have homestyle recipes that everyone can enjoy, especially around the holidays when temptations are everywhere!
This sugar free banana bread can double as either breakfast or dessert (or even a snack!), and is great to have prepared around the holidays.
Your guests will thank you!
Banana Bread Without Sugar
To make banana bread without sugar, you’ll need an alternative sweetener.
While there are many options available these days, my favorite is Lakanto monkfruit and erythritol sweetener.
The great thing about Lakanto’s monkfruit sweetener is that it’s the same texture as regular old sugar, it dissolves easily in baked goods, and it’s a 1:1 sugar substitute, so you can use it cup-for-cup.
That means if a regular recipe calls for a cup of sugar, you can use a cup of Lakanto’s monkfruit sweetener.
Not only that, but monkfruit sweetener doesn’t leave an aftertaste like a lot of other sweeteners do.
Splenda granulated sweetener is another cup-for-cup sweetener option as well.
So I took this sour cream banana bread recipe and tweaked it to be sugar free!
How to Make Sugar Free Banana Bread that Tastes Amazing
It’s really simple to make this easy banana bread, even without sugar!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Lakanto monkfruit sweetener (or other cup-for-cup granulated sweetener of your choice)
- Sour cream
- Ripe bananas
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
How to Make It:
Mix wet ingredients. First, you’ll start by creaming together the butter and the granulated sweetener. Then, you’ll add the eggs and sour cream, mixing until combined.
Mix dry ingredients. Next, you’ll whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Combine. With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the mashed bananas to the wet ingredients, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until fully incorporated.
Bake. Spread batter into a greased and floured bread pan. Bake at 350F for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Notes and Adaptations:
- Feel free to add nuts if desired, such as chopped walnuts or pecans.
- I have not tested this recipe with a gluten-free all-purpose flour, but I suspect it would work fine to substitute if you need gluten-free banana bread.
- I like using sour cream in baking because the acid and fat provides a nice soft texture to the banana bread. If you don’t have sour cream on hand, you could use plain Greek yogurt or buttermilk.
- This goes super well with oat milk hot cocoa for a simple breakfast or afternoon treat on a cold day.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Lakanto monkfruit baking sweetener
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbs sour cream
- 2 large or 3 medium bananas, mashed well (approx. 1 cup mashed)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x5" loaf pan.
- Add butter and sweetener to the bowl of a stand mixer and cream together.
- Add eggs and sour cream, mixing well to combine and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Alternate adding mashed bananas and flour mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
You're welcome to add some chopped pecans or walnuts to make this a banana nut bread!
Amount Per Serving Calories 218Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 65mgSodium 212mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.