Scalloped pineapple dressing is a sweet counterpart of the typical savory stuffing enjoyed with holiday meals. It is delicious served as a side item with ham or turkey, or you can top it with a dollop of whipped cream for a delectable dessert.
You can make this sweet scalloped pineapple stuffing in the Instant Pot or in the oven! Either way, it’s an easy yet tasty addition to your table!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Growing up, dressing was always one of my favorite side dishes for our big holiday dinners. Actually, I always called it “stuffing,” even though we didn’t typically cook it in the turkey.
Whether you call it stuffing or dressing, this pineapple dish is delicious!
What is it about flavorful bits of bread cooked in a savory liquid that makes it so divine?
Later in life, I discovered the sweet counterpart to the savory classic I love so much. My mother-in-law introduced me to this delectable dish, which has quickly become one of my favorite items on a holiday menu.
Easy and Delicious Pineapple Casserole
Pineapple casserole, scalloped pineapple, pineapple dressing, or pineapple stuffing. It may go by several names, but no matter what you call it, one thing is for sure.
It is seriously good. It’s also ridiculously easy to make, and one of those dishes that proves that sometimes, simplicity wins.
We traditionally bake this in the oven, but I recently decided to try it in my Instant Pot.
You start with some cubed bread, preferably day-old. Toast it in the oven until it starts to turn golden brown.
Then, the bread gets tossed with some melted butter. Add the bread to a mixture of pineapple, sugar, eggs, and pineapple juice, stirring well to allow the bread to absorb the liquid.
At this point, it’s up to you if you want to bake it in the oven or cook it in the Instant Pot.
The dressing will be just a little bit more “wet” if you opt for the Instant Pot (because it’s a moist cooking environment instead of a dry environment, so there’s little evaporation of liquid), but the delicious taste is the same.
However, you could always decrease the liquid (you could drain more of the pineapple juice out) a tad if you prefer.
How to Make Scalloped Pineapple Dressing in the Oven
You can follow the traditional method of preparation for scalloped pineapple casserole by baking the dish in the oven.
Simply combine toasted bread cubes with some melted butter. Add pineapple, sugar, eggs, and pineapple juice, stirring well to allow the bread to absorb the liquid.
Pour the bread mixture into a greased baking dish and bake at 350F for 1 hour, or until the bread is nice and golden brown on top.
This is a perfect side item to accompany ham or turkey. You can also top it with a dollop of whipped cream and call it dessert!
It will turn out lovely, but it does take a little bit longer this way.
How to Make Pineapple Stuffing in the Instant Pot
If your oven is being used for other items, such as a ham, you can make this scalloped pineapple stuffing in your Instant Pot!
Grease a baking dish that fits in your Instant Pot.
Next, combine toasted bread cubes with melted butter. Stir in pineapple, sugar, eggs, and pineapple juice, stirring well to allow the bread to absorb the liquid.
Add the bread mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Pour water into the insert pot of the Instant Pot, then place the trivet into the pot.
Use a foil sling to lower the baking dish into the insert pot and onto the trivet.
Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes, followed by a natural pressure release.
If you prefer the top to be crisped a bit (I do!), remove the foil and transfer to a preheated oven to allow the top to become golden brown.
Either prep method will give you a tasty side dish that could also double as a dessert. I like to top it with a dollop of whipped cream!
It makes a lovely accompaniment to ham, turkey, or chicken–perfect for Easter or Christmas!
Recommended Equipment for Instant Pot Method:
- Instant Pot (I have the DUO60 model and love it!)
- Baking dish that will fit in the Instant Pot (I use this Fat Daddio pan)
More Holiday Instant Pot Side Dish Recipes:
- Southern Style Instant Pot Green Beans
- Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Instant Pot Crescent Rolls
- 4 cups cubed bread (I use French bread)
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) of butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 20-oz can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place cubed bread on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
2. Place baking sheet in oven and toast bread until turning golden-brown, about 5-10 minutes.
3. While bread is toasting, combine sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl, stirring until well-combined.
4. Drain 1/4 cup of the heavy syrup from the can of pineapple and discard (you can drain more juice if you want the dressing to be less moist). Add remaining pineapple and syrup to the egg and sugar mixture, stirring well to combine.
5. When bread has toasted, remove from oven and drizzle butter over the bread, tossing to combine.
6. Add bread to the mixture of sugar, eggs, and pineapple. Gently stir to combine, allowing the bread to absorb liquid.
7. Proceed with method of choice below.
To Prepare in the Instant Pot:
1. Place trivet in the insert pot of the Instant Pot. Pour 1.5 cups of water into the insert pot.
2. Grease a baking dish that will fit into the Instant Pot. Add bread mixture to the baking dish. Cover dish with foil and use a foil sling to lower dish into the Instant Pot.
3. Close lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Select a 20 minute cook time at high pressure using the Manual or Pressure Cook button.
4. When cook time is complete, you can perform a quick release or natural release of pressure. When pressure has released and valve has dropped, carefully open the lid and use the foil sling to lift out the baking dish.
5. Remove foil cover from pan. Transfer to preheated oven (350F) to crisp up the top for about 5-10 minutes, if desired.
6. Serve warm as a side dish or top with whipped cream for dessert.
To prepare in the Oven:
1. Pour bread mixture into a greased baking dish.
2. Transfer to a preheated oven (350F) for about 1 hour, or until top is golden brown.
3. Serve warm as a side dish or top with whipped cream for dessert.
Amount Per Serving Calories 450